My favourite deodorant! Believe me, I was skeptical. I live in tropical Western Australia (if it’s 28 degrees Celsius, it’s a cool day). This deodorant has lasted me through 38 degree heat and crossfit, I can say it passes the test!
Making your own deodorant is easy and I would never go back to store bought deodorants. It’s better for my health and the planet. You should be able to get most of the ingredients in a bulk store or in bulk online. If you can find a local soap maker they might have similar ingredients they could sell you in bulk as well. Even if you can’t buy the ingredients package free, they will last you a long time and will still result in less packaging than if you were buying deodorant from a store!
Now comes the fun, detox time! Ever swapped to a natural deodorant and found it doesn’t work? You probably didn’t detox beforehand. This involves not wearing deodorant for up to 3 weeks or until you notice your perspiration levels decreasing. You can speed up the process by applying the following mix for 20 minutes daily:
- 1 TBS Bentonite clay (look for it at your local bulk store, ‘The Source’ generally have it)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tsp water for consistency
(Recipe: Wellness Mama)
I didn’t use anything at all whilst I detoxed and it took about two weeks in Winter! Trust me it’s necessary and it works. You will be less smelly and sweaty by the end!
DIY Extra Strength Deodorant Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons of Shae Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of Grated Cocoa Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Arrowroot Powder
- 2 Tablespoon of Baking Soda
- 2-3 Teaspoons of Vitamin E Oil
- 10+ drops of essential oil (Optional. I use tea tree for its antibacterial benefits. Lavender and peppermint are lovely as well)
Melt the grated cocoa butter and shae butter in the microwave for 1 minute or more or use a double broiler.
Add in the baking soda and the arrowroot. Stir well to combine making sure there are no lumps. Add in the vitamin E and essential oil if using.
Pour into an old cleaned out old wind up deodorant container or jar.
Let it set in the fridge for an hour or on the bench for a few hours. You don’t need to store it in the fridge after it is set.
- Apply! I use about a pea size of deodorant for each underarm.
*Note: you need to detox before use if you haven’t before! Scroll up for instructions.
Want to make your bathroom even more sustainable? Try sewing your own reusable makeup remover rounds next! Find out how, here.